Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving; one day out of the year that SHOULD be everyday

So tomorrow is Thanksgiving. The one day out of the year that we all come together and give thanks that we are living in a free country, and are all so fortunate and whatnot. Things like that. But why should we only be thankful only this week? The thing is that we shouldn’t. We need to be thankful towards God every single day of our life. Because think about what he gave us. He sent his one and only son into this horrible world to live, be tortured and humiliated and then die for all of our sins, so that we could be forgiven and one day, if we accept his gift, go and be with him. I mean that’s pretty cool right? I mean, I’m thankful for that!! I thank him as much as I can, because that’s something that I believe that we should do. But I don’t thank him only for this. I thank him for everything that I have. Because there are a lot of people out there who aren’t nearly as fortunate as I am. And I complain about my parents not being able to afford new school clothes, when I can barley clothes all 7 drawers full of clothes that I have, because they are so full of clothes, most I never even wear. Where do we learn to act like this? It’s because we live in a world where we are all so spoiled that we take everything for granted. And we shouldn’t. The other day I was watching the today show like I do every morning and they were doing a segment that was something about people helping out the less fortunate this Thanksgiving. And I just remember thinking to myself “I wish people didn’t have to help others like this. I wish that everyone could be just as fortunate as everyone else. That there would be no more starving children or teenage girls being bought and sold as sex slaves. There wouldn’t be any more homeless people, or people without jobs that need them, or even schools without paper and the regular school supplies needed for everyday teaching.” But this is an ideal world. And that kind of world is never going to exist, no matter how many times I wish it, or ask God for it. So what I want to say it this; when you’re out shopping at all of those Christmas sales at the crack of dawn on Friday for presents, and you’re sad because you can’t afford the coolest sweater, or new iPod, remember all the kids and people who don’t even have a place to go this Christmas. Or the people who are hoping that the one thing that they will get is a toothbrush and some toothpaste, and when you walk by the Salvation Army man at the door to this mall that you are shopping in, put in double that you were going to put in. there are people out there that need it more than you. And while you’re doing it, thank God for everything that he has given you, and apologize for any greedy thought that you have ever had, because God will always provide for you if you trust in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment